SPOILER ALERT!

Warrior's Cross - Good start, horrible ending - Spoilers ahead

Warrior's Cross - 'Madeleine Urban',  'Abigail Roux'

This book started out promising enough. I was as curious about Julian as Cameron was and wanted to see what would happen next. I had some misgivings after reading the sample, but I let my curiosity hit the buy button. I should have listened to my misgivings instead.
There are several clues right from the get-go that Julian might not be such a good guy; Cameron conveniently overlooks all of them. The entire first chapter, which is way too long, never left the restaurant and took place over several weeks. Does Cameron really have nothing else going on in his life besides work?

The initial night spent between Cameron and Julian is hot, and the build up to that is actually fairly well done, but you're left wondering the same thing Cameron does - what does Julian see in him? This question is never satisfactorily answered and so their entire relationship is simply unbelievable.

The story is largely told from the POV of Cameron, who has to be the most naive protagonist ever to be written. This is supposedly a grown man, but when he finally has doubts about shady Julian, the only questions he can think up is what is his favorite color and where was he born. Seriously? Did he drop out of school after fourth grade or something? It's easy to see why he is so often confused.

Then there's Julian. He has to be the clumsiest hit man ever. How did he get so far in his career if he's always getting himself injured? Then, for being such a big tough guy, he spends a lot of time worrying about losing Cameron, and when he eventually does, he becomes a big blithering baby. Honestly, Cameron acted more like a dude than Julian.

Lastly, there's the arch nemesis, who we don't even meet until about 3/4s of the way through. It's never fully explained why he and Julian are after each other. The big showdown finally arrives, and all the real action takes place off the page except for the final confrontation, which is written from the POV of Cameron and so is confused and anti-climatic. This is a complete waste of a subplot and is obviously just there in a desperate attempt to create some tension. The big twist was so painfully obvious, I just wanted it to happen already and get it over with.

There is nothing redeeming about Julian, who loves his job of killing people so much he gives up his "great love" of Cameron so that he can keep killing people (and then withers in mourning over losing Cameron), and therefore nothing redeeming about Cameron, who lets himself get pulled into this world without even blinking. I have to wonder if this kid even had any morals to begin with. Or maybe he was just so bored with himself that anything would appear to be better.

I kept giving this book a chance to get better and it never did. There are some good tidbits (Smith and Wesson, Julian's drugged semi-confessions), but not enough to outweigh the bad. I finished it and immediately deleted it from my Kindle, the first time I've ever done that.