Relief Valve (The Plumber's Mate #2)

Relief Valve (The Plumber's Mate) - J.L. Merrow

Since I wasn't busy on the mystery of why Tom was dating his former bully, Phil having finally won me over in the previous book, I was actually able to pay attention to the real mystery this time around. There are two actually: who's trying to kill Tom's sister, Cherry, and what did Auntie Lol hide in her old house for Tom to find? For the first there are plenty of potential suspects, all with their own potential motives, and enough red herrings to keep you guessing until the reveal. For the second, that wasn't at all what I was expecting either and has some interesting potential for the upcoming book(s).

As good and entertaining as the mysteries were, I felt like Tom and Phil's relationship got shunted to the side a bit. There's some relationship development, but it's more of a subplot and not as much of a focus as I felt it should be. Or maybe I'm just so used to the insta-love typical of the genre, I'm not used to the more slow, natural-moving pace of actual relationships, LOL. They do reach an important milestone, so there's that.

Really, the most entertaining part of the story was Cherry's fiancé Greg, and Tom's multitude of epitaphs for him. I'm with Tom. Anyone who smiles that much has to be shady. :P