Code Name Verity (Audiobook)

Code Name Verity (Audible Audio) - Elizabeth Wein, Lucy Gaskell, Morven Christie

I always like learning or hearing about different aspects of WWII than we're used to encountering in TV, movies and books. This book gives us a rare glimpse into what it might have been like to be a woman pilot and woman spy for the Allied forces in WWII. On that count, this is an interesting read. I also liked the friendship between Julie and Maddie, how they helped each other and depended on each other. I especially liked that they were shown to be as tough and capable as the male heroes we always hear so much about.

Unfortunately, the structure in which the story is told made it hard to really settle into it. I couldn't get past the thought that the Gestapo would hardly be half as patient as the ones here, who let Julie ramble on about her friend Maddie when she's supposed to be writing her confession and giving them valuable intel. Yes, there was an attempt to lampshade this, but it didn't really help in the long run. It also didn't help that the narrator for the first part of the story sounded too composed and tranquil for someone being starved and tortured. The journal style was carried into the second half, which really just made me impatient with Maddie for writing down stuff where anyone could stumble upon it. I think the plotting and pacing would've been helped by a more traditional narrative style.