Hexbreaker (Hexworld #1)

Hexbreaker - Jordan L. Hawk

I think this was more "it's me not you". I wasn't really feeling this one. As with the prequel, The 13th Hex, this was just weird and I can't really say much more about it and my issues with it than I did for the prequel, but I'll try.

I didn't get the connection between the MCs. Ok, Cicero doesn't want to force bond with a witch. Understandable. So he's cold and aloof to Tom at first, because you know how cats are, right? (I've owned exactly one cat like this over a lifetime of being a cat mommy. Cats get a bum rap, I'm just saying.) The change from enemies to lovers felt rushed and not entirely earned, and the first sex scene just kind of came out of nowhere. I did like how Cicero slowly realized he was wrong about Tom, but then because Tom's keeping this Big Lie a secret throughout most of the book, that entire sequence went down just about as you'd expect.

The whole witch and familiar thing was just weird. In fact, the magic here is just weird all around. I don't understand why it works this way. It seems overly complicated for no good reason. Also, anyone who didn't read the prequel will be missing an important piece of the puzzle on how the hexes are made since it's not explained anywhere here. I'm not exactly sure what a witch even does in this world, because the hex maker makes the hexes, and the familiars provide the magic but for some reason can't use it themselves, and the witch channels the magic through the familiar into the hex and is basically just the middleman. Like I said, overly complicated..

I had pretty much the same issues I had with the novella, but I was hoping they'd be less of an issue in novel length. That didn't turn out to be the case. I think this is it for me and this series.