Desert Foxe (Skyler Foxe Mysteries #3)

Desert Foxe - Haley Walsh
Yes! Time for more fun and hijinks with Skylar, Keith and the SFC. This time, they're heading for the White Party in Palm Springs for a weekend of sexy good times with their boyfriends. Murder and Mayhem - and a couple of delinquent teens - have other ideas.

This was fun, and funny. I laughed several times, and I still enjoy hanging around with these guys. Walsh mixed things up a bit. Nearly the entire story takes place within a 24-hour time span, and most of that over the course of the night, so it's more condensed than other stories in this series. It was a great way to keep the momentum going (sort of, more on that in a sec) and helped with the suspense of disbelief as there was less time for all these guys to stop and ask if they should be doing what they're doing. (Some of them - No! Some of them - Yes!)

We also get multiple POVs for the first time, getting to see events taking place when Skylar isn't there. I did like getting to see glimpses of the other characters without it being filtered later with the "tell and catch up" aspect we get in previous books. There were a lot of sweet and touching moments between the various characters that just wouldn't have worked hearing about them second-hand, and we got to see how these characters actually relate to each other on their own.

The only thing I didn't like about this was that the storylines aren't told chronologically. Maybe that was an attempt to amp up tension and suspense, and maybe that would've worked better if I'd read it instead of listened to it. It didn't quite work for me, whatever the case, and I thought it would've flowed better and tighter if the storylines were closer together. It would've meant more scene jumps, but it would've kept the momentum going too, instead of stopping a scene mid-action, and then jumping to somewhere else to play catch up with the other guys. That's just my opinion though. Others might not have the same issues and prefer it the way it's told.

There are a couple of niggles: the generic "Asian" guy. Asia's a pretty large continent. Is he Russian? Chinese? Cambodian? Indian? Israeli? Like, if you have a Canadian character, you wouldn't call him the North American. I would really like to see authors at least narrow down "Asian" to a specific country, if nothing else.

I know some people will have issues with the terms "Native American" and "Indian" being used interchangeably. I personally don't see how one is really better or worse than the other. But my opinion doesn't matter and I'm not getting into that here. Just follow this link to see what actual Natives feel on the topic, because they're really the only ones who have the right to be picky about this:

Narration: Joel Leslie is back and he... sounds like he's getting over a cold? I actually stopped the first chapter to see if it was the same narrator. After I finished the book, I even went back and downloaded an earlier book, wondering if it'd just been too long and I'd forgotten what he sounded like, that maybe after the smooth silkiness of Chris Patton, Leslie just sounded gruffer by comparison. Part of it was that, but his voice is a wee bit on the scratchy side here. I hope he wasn't sick and it was just an issue of recording equipment instead. :( To be clear, he still knocks it out of the park and does a great job, overall, especially with all the SFC. Except he mispronounced "dour" as "doer" at one point. I did have issue with his "big guy" voice, or Keith's voice. I love it for Keith's voice. I didn't love it when it was used for the other "big guys" as there wasn't enough of a difference and it made it a little hard to follow along sometimes when there was more than one "big guy" in the scene.