Dominant Predator (The Borders War #2)

Dominant Predator (The Borders War Book 2) - S.A. McAuley

I'm not really sure what to make of this one. The writing is at the same level as the first book, and there are some answers to some of the questions that I had, and yet this book feels like mostly filler. It doesn't have an actual point. It moves things forward and the characters do things, but nothing really actually happens.

I feel more like this series was supposed to be one book that then got divided into novellas. The world-building, while there is some, isn't to the level I expect it to be when it comes to these kinds of stories either. There's still too many unknowns and Merq keeps thinking of things he needs to talk to Armise about but never does. They go on a mission they don't come close to completing before getting called back. We find out some things but then never hear what happened after that. I'm left feeling kind of unfulfilled and not that enthused to see what happens next.

I was also hoping for some more reasoning behind Armise's defection to the Revolution, but it continues to be because of Merq. Which is awesome. Love in this dire and grim existence is affirming. However, he barely knew Merq when he defected, which makes it this weird sort of instalove that makes zero sense.

So, good writing but no real substance.