As the Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon Crime Series, #1)

As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series) - Damien Boyd

Not what I was expecting...

This was a straightforward murder mystery/crime procedural. It was pretty fast-paced, in that it didn't linger over too many unnecessary details or swamp the reader with too many potential suspects just for the sake of confusion. I can't tell if the missed words throughout were typos or just very British. Given how I know some Brits to talk, I'm leaning toward the latter.

There were some plot holes. Some of the main evidence was in Nick's hands when he had no other officials with him to verify when and how he got it and that he went nowhere else with it, then it was in his office for a couple of days before he turned it over to evidence. Surely, that couldn't be admissible in court, since there's no chain of evidence. That's not even getting into what he did with some of the evidence later on.

But since the perp dies, there's no court date to worry about, so I guess that makes it a non-issue in the end.

(show spoiler)

I did twig onto the perp about halfway through, so that reveal wasn't much of a surprise. The final reveal about how Nick's friend Jake ultimately died was not particularly satisfying.

Turns out, he really did tie a sloppy knot and let fate take its course. The figure unknown running away from the scene that one witness claims they saw sort of gets forgotten. The witness hadn't been entirely sure he saw anything, so I guess we're supposed to chalk it up to the witness being mistaken.

(show spoiler)

The main characters are all pretty straightforward also since there's no time to get to know them outside the investigation. That didn't bother me, but it might others. What did kind of bother me was that Nick was some sort of super detective, competent in areas that aren't even his expertise.

He knew just by looking at a body how long it had been dead. The ME later confirmed it after the autopsy. He also found files on Jake's iPhone the tech experts overlooked, because apparently none of them thought to turn it on and see the app update or even check the utilities folder for apps there. Because why would those be important?

(show spoiler)

The author appears to assume all the readers are familiar with rock-climbing terminology since there's zero explanation about the E7 6c and other such references made. Clearly, it has something to do with the difficulty of the climb - I'm guessing the higher the number, the more difficult it is - but since there's no explanation given, I have to wonder why such distinctions were even there. Just say it's an expert climb versus a novice climb or whatever.

I did like it because it was quick and didn't get sidetracked, but I don't think at this point that I'm going to check out any of the other books in this series.