Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin #5)

Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin) (Volume 5) - Jordan L. Hawk

This one got a little weird. And a little predictable. The hints were there all along, right from the first boo. I missed a few, but the more obvious ones were enough that I more or less knew where this story was going to end before I was even through the first couple of chapters. How it got there though was a little more in the air. Even though I did have it more or less figured out, Ms. Hawk provides enough question marks to keep some things up in the air.

For instance, I knew the visiting Endicotts would play a role in the climax of the story, obviously, but I didn't know what exactly. At one point, I thought they and Stanford might even be in cahoots. I was surprised that their earlier friendship of Percival was genuine and they didn't have ulterior motives towards him until the truth was revealed. And while I figured Whyborne would be revealed as a sea creature of some sort, I hadn't figured that Heliabel and his siblings were also. Rather, I thought it'd be revealed that Heliabel herself had lain with a selkie right before Whyborne's conception, rather than her grandmother. His twin sister being alive was a complete surprise.

(show spoiler)

I hate it whenever Griffin and Whyborne fight, and I was super worried at one point. Whyborne's ego was tripping all over the place in this book, helped along by his visiting cousins from England. I was having flashbacks to the mess that was Dark Willow on Buffy, but thankfully, things didn't get quite that far. And as always, our guys talk to each other and work things out. Griffin too learns how to be more accepting of Whyborne's skills with magic, and that was a treat to see as well. Hopefully, that point of conflict will be put to rest permanently, though I'm sure they'll find plenty of other things to argue about. ;)

The ending felt a little too contemporary for me, even if it came about by less than contemporary means, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet.

Whyborne and Griffin get "married" and start calling each other husband. On the one hand, yay for their commitment to each other. On the other hand, it feels like it was put in there only because gay marriage was the hot topic when this was written and so it feels a little political.

(show spoiler)

The ketoi are clearly modeled on certain indigenous peoples, and I'm not really sure how to feel about that yet either. Their names, for instance, was a constant source of distraction, but at least the more harmful tropes were avoided.

I understand this was supposed to be the original end of the series, and some of my friends have expressed concern about it continuing from here on out. I think there's still plenty of story to tell. Griffin just found a brother, there's a possible threat from England, and other minor threads hanging loose that I wouldn't mind seeing tied up. Onward I go.