Remnant (Whyborne & Griffin #3.5; Simon Feximal #3)

Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery - Jordan L. Hawk, K.J. Charles

Well, that was a lot of fun! I was a little saddened, at first, that this short wasn't also from Griffin's POV, but that went away real quick. This just wouldn't have been the same if not seen from Whyborne's POV, and having that juxtaposed with Robert's POV was quite effective. Griffin and Robert becoming insta-friends was a treat, as was Whyborne's and Simon's less than eager reactions to their harmless flirting. Together, they work what I'm calling the Case of the Nice Guys, and I'm eternally grateful that love potions weren't romanticized here because forcing someone to love you is creepy. I do hope Simon hunted down the Nice Guys afterward and gave them a good scaring, because that one they spoke to didn't deserve to get off that easily and neither do any of the others. My only regret is we didn't get to hear more of the argument between Whyborne and Simon at the end, but just knowing that it happened is great. This isn't the timid Whyborne we met back in the first book.

I know I've been lukewarm about KJ Charles, but here, her half and Hawkins's half flowed together seamlessly and it really kicked things up a notch for both authors. I wouldn't mind reading a crossover from these two again.