Winter Kill

Winter Kill - Josh Lanyon

Not one of Lanyon's strongest. It actually often felt like someone else was writing this. It didn't have the same feel as so many of Lanyon's other works. Usually, Lanyon can use a few brief words to convey layer upon layer of meaning and plot and feelings that would take other writers whole chapters. That was not the case here. There was almost an excess of words but there was little behind them - or between them - than what appeared directly on page. There was little to no chemistry between the MCs, and the mystery part - while well done - got a little absurd near the end. I didn't have as much problem with the ending as a lot of other readers did, maybe because I was expecting it to be so much worse, but it was a little too neatly wrapped up with a grisly little bow. The epilogue was nice, but again, I didn't feel the chemistry between the MCs so I wasn't really invested in if they got together or not.

Some have pointed out the botched details - Oregon is also in a drought, and airlines don't work that way up there, etc. The FBI sending a team from LA up to Oregon - I wasn't bothered with that so much at the beginning as I felt there was adequate explanation for it, but it started stretching believability when Adam was called up again at special request. We find out later he's kind of expendable. Okay. I can certainly understand that when he doesn't even work with his partner and doesn't keep track of where he is half the time. Sorry, but I

really can't blame Russell for watching his own back and snitching on Adam, because dude, you needed more help. I know we're supposed to hate Russell for this but all I could think was "about time."

(show spoiler)

There was also the "small town hick cops can't process a crime scene" thing, which was annoying.

I did like Rob's laid back approach to police investigation. I know that annoyed other readers too, but I saw it more as Rob being the "devil's advocate". It's his job to consider every possible angle - and he does. He never once lets a lead go. He's just not giving himself an ulcer over it and I was okay with that. He was a good balance to Adam's more direct "hit them over the head with bluntness" approach.

I was entertained enough while I was reading it but I doubt I'll ever have the desire to read this one again.